Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Flying Scotsman in York

I find that my thoughts are more and more turning homeward. And I wonder. Is it simply because we are in the last week and a half of our trip, therefore very close now? Or is it because, after almost three months away (it will be three months on Saturday) one has simply 'had enough'? Both yesterday and today there was a total slump in my energy (early afternoon, surprise, surprise) - but really, really hard to work through. It took me back to the beginning of our trip when I reflected philosophically about how you keep your chin up when the kids are flaking it, and muster 'adult' behavior to 'keep them going'. Well today, Lilli was feeling sorry for me and saying that I should just come back to the room and curl up in bed (yes, she was reading my mind - but no, I wish I weren't so obvious and pathetic). Ha. We are supposed to move on tomorrow, but I am wondering if another day here might be a good idea. Visit a laundry mat as our planned outing for the day. Walk through the streets and be able to poke our noses into the shops as we go. Stroll by the park over the road, which we haven't even set foot into. Do some schooling. (something that has been much less regular than my original plans had it at. I suspect that the week and a half at home before school returns will be hard on the kids as I sit them at the table and do some catch ups.) Don't panic grandparents...your grandkids will graduate from primary school yet!!
Yesterday we visited what is possibly York's second most famous attraction, the Railway Museum. It was a rainy morning so we went for the treat of the road train, which transports you from York Minster to the museum (for a fee, of course). The Museum itself if free, and is an amazing example of what sort of learning can take place in this world for free. There is one big shed full of engines and display engines - like the rail trains where the mail was sorted enroute. The Hogwarts Express engine was here, and dozens of others, a contingent of which, were parked around the remaining turntable in the shed (there used to be three). You can imagine how cool this looked, all parked in, their noses facing one another around a massive circle - and all under cover. This shed also led to the Flying Scotsman museum, where they are in the process of restoring the original to working order. A very costly process, but supported by all, as the Flying Scotsman is one of Britain's best loved trains.
My favourite shed was on the other side of the museum, where, once again, a myriad of different trains were 'stationed' alongside of platforms. These were representative of lots of different eras and some you could sit in. Amongst the collection was their oldest train, Queen Victoria's Carriages. I think I am a bit of a Victoria fan. I certainly like her taste in colours. Everything was lined with cushioned blue. Probably it was a royal blue? There is no illumination in those carriages, as the textiles are all very fragile, and the carriages themselves are treated with chemicals and air testers to maintain for as long as possible the interiors. Actually, there was a carriage there of the Dowager Queen Adelaide's, which was in fact older than Queen Victoria's, however, it was only on loan, so I guess didn't count. Also interesting.
I wish I was more into trains, so that I could have enjoyed myself still after the two hour mark, but in truth, as I mentioned at the start, my legs didn't want to move me anymore, and my brain stopped caring, my eyes just wandered vaguely over stuff with minimal absorption. I can recommend it wholeheartedly, never-the-less, as a brilliantly set up place.
Today we visited the Castle Museum. So cool. I am such a sucker for loving anything to do with 'how people lived' and so this was the place for me. They had rooms set up, stuffed full of reality. Fenced off, granted, but that makes perfect sense. There was a Victorian Period Room, a Georgian Room, a couple of 17th Century ones. These led into the displays of recent history. For example, how rooms used to be cleaned, how toilets were used, laundry done (they used to wee in the water, as a cheap and readily available bleach), midwifery practices, wedding attire and funeral arrangements. This section then led to a 'street'. Cobble stones, flanked with Victorian style shop windows, and the odd horse and cart on the road. It was all in real size, and went in lighting effects, from day to night and back again, so that you could see the street in both lights. In the night time there would be 'candle' light, flickering from behind the lace curtains, above the shop windows. Said windows, displayed all manner of objects from a hundred to two hundred years ago, and covered the gammet of life from the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker.... To be honest.....I don't remember a butcher shop or bakery - but there must have been at least the latter - and as for candles, there were no sticks, but lots of candles hanging in bunches from the ceiling of the candle shop. There were clothes, shoes, toys and sweets.
The second half of that museum was not so exciting for me. More modern times, up to the sixties. One thing that was funny, was watching the way that people from throughout the sixties display, all flocked toward the telly in the corner when the Doctor Who music came on. We all stood and watched - I told the kids how Uncle Michael used to love this show, in a terrified kind of way, and would watch it from behind the couch- as soon as the two minute snippet was up and some other iconic thing was on screen, everyone left. Just like that. Kudos to you, Dr.Who.
The kids were in their beds before seven thirty tonight. The second time that we have managed that since leaving home, if my scrambled mind serves me correctly.
In the morning it is a full English breakfast for me. It is my most pleasing thought, as I drift off each evening.... hope you have a good brekky...

No comments:

Post a Comment